There is no single prescription for gaining an emotional or mental edge over cancer. Some people derive support from their faith, family and friends, while others prefer to share their experience with like individuals who have cancer.
There are support groups for all types of cancer. But is a group setting right for you? If you’re worried it could feel uncomfortable to talk about such a personal subject as fighting cancer with strangers, you may have a change of heart after reading further.
Types of cancer support groups
Support is available to you in various ways. To find the group that works best for your needs, take some time to do a little research. Examples of different types of support groups include:
- Peer-led or self-help groups – Support that’s facilitated by group members.
- Professionally led groups – Often hosted by a trained counselor, social worker or psychologist to facilitate the conversation among participants.
- Informational support groups – Typically led by a professional facilitator, these support groups provide cancer-related information and education. These gatherings frequently feature guest speakers, such as doctors, who provide expert advice.
The benefits of cancer support
As a person living with cancer, you may often feel isolated. The range and intensity of emotions you feel can be difficult for your family to grasp. As loving and supportive as they try to be, they may never be able to understand what you’re going through.
In a support group, you’re surrounded by people with cancer who can relate to your feelings and experiences. You may find that the group dynamics create a sense of belonging that helps you feel more understood and less alone. For many people, the benefits of participating in support groups include:
- Feeling less isolated or judged
- Gaining a sense of empowerment and control
- Improving coping skills and sense of adjustment
- Talking openly and honestly about your feelings
- Reducing stress, depression, anxiety or fatigue
- Developing a clearer understanding of what to expect
- Getting practical advice or information about treatment options
- Exchanging information about doctors and alternative options
At the START Center for Cancer Care, we offer complete cancer support, from individual counseling to post-treatment to guidance throughout recovery.
World-class cancer care is close to home
In your battle against cancer, few things are easy. Getting some of the most advanced care without leaving San Antonio, however, can be. At START, our team of caring, dedicated physicians is globally recognized for their contributions to the advancements of cancer research. But because we practice locally, we can provide you the excellent care you need, when you need it. We treat you like the unique person you are, maintain prompt appointments and expedite your testing and results. And we offer some of the most advanced treatments available today throughout eight locations in the San Antonio area.
To learn more or schedule an appointment, call 210-745-6841 or click here to use our online form.